Monday, October 16, 2006

In Memory of Captain Mark C. Paine

Captain Mark Paine was killed in action on Sunday, October 15th in Taji, Iraq - the victim of a massive IED that detonated beneath his Humvee in a coordinated enemy attack.

Mark's life--to the very end--was one of selfless service. Mark also loved each of you--his soldiers, colleagues and friends--as his own family. He would have wanted to say goodbye in that affable and hopeful way that made him such an inspiring force.

In the weeks and months ahead, we hope to reconcile our grief with the memory of Mark's life and the knowledge that he loved Christ. Just last Thursday, Mark wrote in an email: "I am more steady and content than I've ever been here. I guess b/c so many are getting worried/scared/anxious, it makes me more and more calm. Strange, but a powerful example of prayer..."

We weren't quite ready to say goodbye but trust that heaven is slightly better place this week upon Mark's arrival.

To those of you who've reached out already, thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Mark often said that he was living his dream. I think he would have wanted us to do the same and celebrate 32 years well lived.

Love to you all,

The Paine Family

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm an '05 Campo grad. I just read about Captain Paine a moment ago, after searching for members of the military from my hometown.

He will be remembered.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was the USAF Liaison Officer assigned to 1BCT. I got to know Mark a bit before we deployed, but even more so after we arrived in Taji. I always enjoyed his sense of humor and positive attitude. He was a true leader and the men of Bravo Company deeply respected him.

I left Taji in early July 2006 and Mark was one of the last guys I visited. I went to Bravo Company to say goodbye and thank him for taking care of my men when they went out on missions with him. I think about Mark often... he was a great leader and friend.

Maj Brian Wallace, USAF
23 Oct 12

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My family and I remember CPT. Paine ever Oct. 15. I’m thankful to have known, and to have served with him. His motivation was contagious. The next 8 years of my military service, following the night of Oct 15, 2006 was spent living, and leading by the example that he set. He will forever be remembered, and missed.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home